Brian P. O'Shaughnessy
Shareholder | Washington, D.C.
P: (202) 808-7365
F: (610) 407-0701
Brian O'Shaughnessy is a Shareholder in the Firm’s Washington, D.C. office, where he focuses his practice on counseling clients in strategies to protect and respect intellectual property particularly in the areas of organic chemistry, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. Mr. O'Shaughnessy counsels clients in developing and implementing licensing strategies to enhance corporate competitiveness, and to extract maximum value from intellectual assets. He represents clients in contested matters before the federal courts of the United States, and in administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office including patent procurement, post-issuance proceedings, and interferences. He counsels life science and health care companies in lifecycle management strategies, and in matters relating to the Hatch-Waxman amendments to the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act. Mr. O'Shaughnessy has also served as expert witness in contested matters involving license agreements. Mr. O'Shaughnessy's wide-ranging experience affords a diverse perspective and creative solutions to intellectual property management, enforcement, licensing, and risk avoidance.
Mr. O'Shaughnessy is a longstanding and active member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES), USA & Canada, serving on its Board of Trustees since 2007, currently as Regional Vice President – U.S.A. He has also served LES USA & Canada as editor, author and faculty member for its curriculum-based Professional Development Series. Mr. O'Shaughnessy also serves the LES USA and Canada, as an international delegate to LES International.
Mr. O'Shaughnessy was selected as the 2005 Distinguished Alumnus for the Rochester Institute of Technology's College of Science. The award recognizes laudable professional and/or community achievement. Mr. O'Shaughnessy has also been listed in the IAM 250: The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers (2010 and 2011).
Mr. O'Shaughnessy is a member of RatnerPrestia's General Chemistry and Polymers Group.
Articles & Presentations
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law (1986)
- M.S.Ch., Rochester Institute of Technology (1984)
- B.S.Ch., Rochester Institute of Technology (1981)
Licensing Executives Society
- Regional Vice President, USA (2011-Present)
- Board of Trustees (2007-Present)
D.C. Bar Intellectual Property Section
- Steering Committee (2013)
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association
Board of Trustees, Rochester Institute of Technology: Executive Committee; and Chair, Student Life Committee
Board of Directors, Alumni Association, Rochester Institute of Technology: Chair, Membership Committee (2009-Present); President (2005-2009)
- IAM 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012)
- IAM 250: The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers (2010 and 2011)
- Distinguished Alumnus for the Rochester Institute of Technology's College of Science (2005)