Brian P. O'Shaughnessy
Shareholder | Washington, D.C.
P: (202) 808-7365
F: (610) 407-0701
Brian O'Shaughnessy is a Shareholder in the Firm’s Washington, D.C. office, where he focuses his practice on counseling clients in strategies to protect and respect intellectual property particularly in the areas of organic chemistry, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. Mr. O'Shaughnessy counsels clients in developing and implementing licensing strategies to enhance corporate competitiveness, and to extract maximum value from intellectual assets. He represents clients in contested matters before the federal courts of the United States, and in administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office including patent procurement, post-issuance proceedings, and interferences. He counsels life science and health care companies in lifecycle management strategies, and in matters relating to the Hatch-Waxman amendments to the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act. Mr. O'Shaughnessy has also served as expert witness in contested matters involving license agreements. Mr. O'Shaughnessy's wide-ranging experience affords a diverse perspective and creative solutions to intellectual property management, enforcement, licensing, and risk avoidance.
Mr. O'Shaughnessy is a longstanding and active member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES), USA & Canada, serving on its Board of Trustees since 2007, currently as Chairman-Elect of the Board and previously as Regional Vice President – U.S.A. He has also served LES USA & Canada as editor, author and faculty member for its curriculum-based Professional Development Series. Mr. O'Shaughnessy also serves the LES USA and Canada, as an international delegate to LES International.
Mr. O'Shaughnessy was awarded the 2013 Outstanding Alumnus Award by Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY; and was awarded the 2005 Distinguished Alumnus Award by RIT’s College of Science. The Outstanding Alumnus award recognizes outstanding dedication and service to the University; and the Distinguished Alumnus Award recognizes laudable professional and/or community achievement. Mr. O'Shaughnessy has been repeatedly acknowledged as among the “The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers” by Intellectual Asset Management Magazine (2010 – 2013).
Mr. O'Shaughnessy is a member of RatnerPrestia's General Chemistry and Polymers Group.
Articles & Presentations
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
United States Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law (1986)
- M.S.Ch., Rochester Institute of Technology (1984)
- B.S.Ch., Rochester Institute of Technology (1981)
- Licensing Executives Society
- Chairman-Elect of the Board (2015-Present)
- Regional Vice President, USA (2011-2015)
- Board of Trustees (2007-Present)
- D.C. Bar Intellectual Property Section
- Steering Committee (2013-Present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Board of Trustees, Rochester Institute of Technology (2004-Present)
- Executive Committee, and Chair, Student Life Committee (2011-Present)
- Alumni Association Board of Directors, Rochester Institute of Technology (1994-Present):
- Chair, Membership Committee (2009-2013);
- President (2005-2009)
- IAM 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2013)
- IAM 250: The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Lawyers (2010 & 2011)
- Outstanding Alumnus, Rochester Institute of Technology (2013)
- Distinguished Alumnus, Rochester Institute of Technology, College of Science (2005)